Saturday, September 5, 2009

What is Your Chlorine Status?

A utility member sent me an email as follows, "When I placed an order for chlorine this week, my supplier informed me that chlorine supplies are tight & that prices are rising.

The reason given is that the caustic market has crashed due to the slow economy & lack of demand by manufacturers. Because of this, caustic manufactures have reduced production. Since chlorine is a by-product of caustic manufacture - chlorine production is also reduced. I was told that they will be able to keep delivering chlorine but that deliveries will be erratic depending on rail car availability.

This was a total surprise. I've seen nothing on any of the water industry internet news services.

You may want to pass this on to members. It looks like we'll need to bump up our chlorine budget for 2010."

Laurie Dougherty
Illinois Section AWWA Executive Director

No comments:

Post a Comment